Welcome to the Bay!


You are not connected. Please login or register

US Government Shut Down

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

FutureShadow202 | 3339 The Pig Roaster

avatar
Good or bad?
Your thoughts on it?



on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:42 pm

camycamera | 4194 Legendary Member

avatar
i dont get it? what happened?



on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Knadan | 4060 Community Commissar

avatar
camycamera wrote:i dont get it? what happened?
The US Congress pulled a stupid and deadlocked over Obamacare and a budget. The cut off date for coming up with a budget was midnight EST 9/30-10/1. Since they didn't pass a budget, our government shuts down, meaning several government organizations stop going to work, such as the Forest Service.



on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 pm



The Commissar will see you now....

001 Contrite Mediation | 4248 The Floaty Green Dude

avatar
No budget = no money
no money = no working
The only government employees that are working are the military and "essential personal" (prison guards, border patrol, parts of the FBI, etc.)



on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am

FutureShadow202 | 3339 The Pig Roaster

avatar
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:No budget = no money
no money = no working
The only government employees that are working are the military and "essential personal" (prison guards, border patrol, parts of the FBI, etc.)
and congress along with other big wigs are all still untouched by this. Must be nice for them to still have their pay.



on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 am

Pandora's Box | 4308 Grammatical Wizard

avatar
FutureShadow202 wrote:
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:No budget = no money
no money = no working
The only government employees that are working are the military and "essential personal" (prison guards, border patrol, parts of the FBI, etc.)
and congress along with other big wigs are all still untouched by this. Must be nice for them to still have their pay.
Truuu, I greatly dislike the fact that they aren't even working and they're still getting paid. Being perfectly honest I believe members of congress and the executive branch make too much money. It's quite ridiculous how much they make on top of pension and everything that is paid for by the government while their in office.



on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 am

CWO4anthony321123 | 4399 Legendary Member

avatar
I am personally confused. Does this mean that America doesn't exist right now? Why is there no riots? Why does everything feel exactly the same, except a small bit of scaredness? Why couldn't they wait for me to start and finish college and move to Canada, like I've been planning to do for the past two years? Does this Obama Care hold up mean it's the Republican's fault? So many questions.



on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 pm

001 Contrite Mediation | 4248 The Floaty Green Dude

avatar
CWO4anthony321123 wrote:I am personally confused. Does this mean that America doesn't exist right now? Why is there no riots? Why does everything feel exactly the same, except a small bit of scaredness? Why couldn't they wait for me to start and finish college and move to Canada, like I've been planning to do for the past two years? Does this Obama Care hold up mean it's the Republican's fault? So many questions.
1. America does exist, it just doesn't have any money to spend (on the national level). State governments are unaffected, so anything local like schools, hospitals, police, and firemen are unaffected.

2. There aren't any riots because the military and local police are unaffected.

3. Everything is exactly the same. The only thing that has changed is you can't get a visa or passport right now, and all government research projects are suspended (for now).

4. The government won't be closed for more than a month.

5. It's both parties' fault. The Republicans didn't want it to pass, but the Democrats didn't want to negotiate.

I hope that answers your questions Smile

TL;DR the only thing the government can't do right now is spend money, give visas/passports/citizenships, and formally declare war. The military is still working.



on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 am

FutureShadow202 | 3339 The Pig Roaster

avatar
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:
CWO4anthony321123 wrote:I am personally confused. Does this mean that America doesn't exist right now? Why is there no riots? Why does everything feel exactly the same, except a small bit of scaredness? Why couldn't they wait for me to start and finish college and move to Canada, like I've been planning to do for the past two years? Does this Obama Care hold up mean it's the Republican's fault? So many questions.
1. America does exist, it just doesn't have any money to spend (on the national level). State governments are unaffected, so anything local like schools, hospitals, police, and firemen are unaffected.

2. There aren't any riots because the military and local police are unaffected.

3. Everything is exactly the same. The only thing that has changed is you can't get a visa or passport right now, and all government research projects are suspended (for now).

4. The government won't be closed for more than a month.

5. It's both parties' fault. The Republicans didn't want it to pass, but the Democrats didn't want to negotiate.

I hope that answers your questions Smile

TL;DR the only thing the government can't do right now is spend money, give visas/passports/citizenships, and formally declare war. The military is still working.
Yes, although its budget for supplies may become tight. Tomorrow is also going to be the last payday for a lot of people, so you'll see mobs in DC within the next week.



on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
I heard about the recent news today:

So the goverment has no money and trillions in debt, their solution is borrowing more money and lowering taxes? Good thinking.

US is gonna crash and burn so bad it will make the Greece Crisis look like a cosy camp fire... You guys are screwed, and sadly America will take the rest of the world down with it.

(unless they use their military power to enforce the petro-dollar, that always works...)



on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm

001 Contrite Mediation | 4248 The Floaty Green Dude

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:I heard about the recent news today:

So the goverment has no money and trillions in debt, their solution is borrowing more money and lowering taxes? Good thinking.

US is gonna crash and burn so bad it will make the Greece Crisis look like a cosy camp fire... You guys are screwed, and sadly America will take the rest of the world down with it.

(unless they use their military power to enforce the petro-dollar, that always works...)
Crash and burn? What kind of crash are we talking about here? Because 1. they aren't borrowing more money, they talked about borrowing more money 2. They didn't even talk about lowering taxes.



on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:I heard about the recent news today:

So the goverment has no money and trillions in debt, their solution is borrowing more money and lowering taxes? Good thinking.

US is gonna crash and burn so bad it will make the Greece Crisis look like a cosy camp fire... You guys are screwed, and sadly America will take the rest of the world down with it.

(unless they use their military power to enforce the petro-dollar, that always works...)
Crash and burn? What kind of crash are we talking about here? Because 1. they aren't borrowing more money, they talked about borrowing more money 2. They didn't even talk about lowering taxes.
I heard over the radio they where considering to borrow more money, that most probably mean that they WILL borrow more money, what else are they gonna do by now? It's what every country does when they know their f*cked, they delay it as soon as possible.

And the republicans said that they should lower taxes to "stimulate the economy"... good luck with that.

I'm gonna explain to you how America really works and how it only has the appearance of "super power".

If it wasn't for the petro-dollar America would be as poor as freakin Congo...

All oil in the whole world is traded in dollars, every time anyone buys oil it increases the value of the currency. It is the only reason the dollar is not in hyper-inflation. (national economics 101)

This means that if we now discovered the ultimate power source to replace all oil, the US dollar would be worth zero. It's not about the actual oil, it's about working against the inflation.

But not all countries sell their oil in dollars! If someone sells their oil in let's say Euros, they become competitors to the petro-dollar and brings up the US inflation! Can you guess who these countries are/were? That's right Iran, Russia, Venezuela, Cuba etc ("the bad guys").

And this is funny, did you know that Irak was one of the largest oil exporters in the world, and DIDN'T sell oil in dollars? But can you guess what happened after USA was done with them? That's right, they started selling oil in dollars... chocker right? The same thing happened to Lybia too. (there are many more examples of things like this, like the CIA coup in Venezuela)

And why do you think Obama was so damn eager to take down Syria? And why do you think he is funding the "rebel" terrorist groups that have links to al-Qaida? Because he cares about human rights? Don't make me laugh...
(if they cared about human rights they wouldn't have killed thousands of civilians with napalm in Vietnam, nuked Japan, used drones against civilians, release depleted uranium in Irak, locked people up without trial in Guantanamo etc...)

He wants to destabilize Syria so he can put his own puppets in there and gain more control of the middle east.. just like they did in Irak. And Syria is also in the way of a oil pipeline that Saudi Arabia wants to build into Europe...

They also wanted to attack Syria so that they would strike back and give US an excuse to move in the troops. And since Syria and Iran has a defense-treaty, Iran would also be forced into the war. And guess what, Iran is the 4:th largest oil exporters in the world, who also don't sell in dollars...

But fortunately, Russia and Putin where to smart for the US and brought an end to their madness. Since they agreed to destroy the chemical weapons, it is check-mate and USA doesn't have any excuses anymore

And the only reason they are talking to Iran now is because their first plan didn't work, and now they want to try and convince them to join the "dark side" and sell oil in dollars.

The petro-dollar is the duct tape that is holding together the US economy, but it wont work forever... and when it starts to fall apart it will be ugly.

Just look at how it was when they wanted to attack Syria, China and Russia had many ships in the area and where ready to strike back and defend Syria. The US isn't even that desperate yet, WW3 is definitely not impossible...



on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
I'm just gonna make a new thread out of this lol..



on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 pm

mini0013xx | 4167 Undaunted Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:Crash and burn? What kind of crash are we talking about here? Because 1. they aren't borrowing more money, they talked about borrowing more money 2. They didn't even talk about lowering taxes.
Left wing socialist BS and conspiracies
I say get rid of the fed. Can't be in debt when you don't have a bank to be in debt to. Just saying. That's a start.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:41 am

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:Left wing socialist BS and conspiracies
I say get rid of the fed. Can't be in debt when you don't have a bank to be in debt to. Just saying. That's a start.
It has nothing to do with socialism, it's simple freakin economics. If the oil would become useless over night, you would need pretty much 1 000 dollars to buy a loaf of bread. The US dollar gets it's value from the petro-dollar, this is a FACT.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:56 pm

mini0013xx | 4167 Undaunted Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
mini0013xx wrote:I say get rid of the fed. Can't be in debt when you don't have a bank to be in debt to. Just saying. That's a start.
It has nothing to do with socialism, it's simple freakin economics. If the oil would become useless over night, you would need pretty much 1 000 dollars to buy a loaf of bread. The US dollar gets it's value from the petro-dollar, this is a FACT.
Look up facts on the fed. You'll notice that that's the whole reason why we even need the petro-dollar.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm

001 Contrite Mediation | 4248 The Floaty Green Dude

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
Wait, so you think that the U.S. attacked Iraq and is trying to take down Iran and Syria because of oil trading? Not the fact that Iraq was the previous base of operations for Al Qaeda, who orchestrated 911? Or the fact that Syria used chemical weapons (which are illegal according to the Geneva convention) on its own citizens, or that Iran has started a nuclear program that could give the radical Islamist group The Muslim Brotherhood nuclear weapons? Wow. You really don't care about the good we are doing; you only see it as a conspiracy to save our economy.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:Wait, so you think that the U.S. attacked Iraq and is trying to take down Iran and Syria because of oil trading? Not the fact that Iraq was the previous base of operations for Al Qaeda, who orchestrated 911? Or the fact that Syria used chemical weapons (which are illegal according to the Geneva convention) on its own citizens, or that Iran has started a nuclear program that could give the radical Islamist group The Muslim Brotherhood nuclear weapons? Wow. You really don't care about the good we are doing; you only see it as a conspiracy to save our economy.
Don't eat all the BS that the media feeds you with, if you want to know really happens in the world you have to do your own research and listen to multiple sources, not that biased FOX NEWS crap..

1) The US had ZERO proof that the chemical weapons where used by the government. Russia released a 100 page report with SCIENTIFIC evidence proving that the rebels did it. (which makes sense since the rebels had everything to gain, and the government had everything to loose)
The United States didn't release A SINGLE PIECE OF EVIDENCE! You just take their word for it? Don't be so naive..

2) There was no -Cheesecake!- chemical weapons in Irak, it was a false flag opperation... everyone knows that. And you're telling me that because a group of terrorists attacked America, that it's ok to invade a country and cause the death of THOUSANDS!? What about all the people that were tortured and killed in Irak because of the US?

Or how about this fact, there used to be a few million christians in Irak before the war. There are zero left now, all the churches are burned down and the people are either dead or out of the country. THANK YOU AMERICA, BRAVO!

Not to mention the fact that the US released depleated Iranium there which have caused many birth deformations..

3) Oh, so Iran has nuclear weapons? Way to point fingers there, America has more nukes than the entire world combined. What are all those for I ask?

4) You know what else is against the Geneva Convention? The use of nuclear weapons (and of course the US is the only country that has ever used them)
Locking up and torturing people is also against the Geneva convention, yet America does it in Guantanamo all the time. Why hasn't anyone invaded America and punished them?


Face it, the US has caused nothing but death and suffering ever since after WW2. And what was the vietnam war good for I ask you? The viet-cong government was partialy elected in a democratic way, you just didn't want another communist country. So they starded a pointless war and killed thousands of civilians with napalm...

The US likes to tell others to follow human rights and not use chemical weapons etc, yet nobody even cares about the atrocities they have commited. (I would say that napalm is a chemical weapon)

Wake up, it's all about intrests. If they cared about human rights, they would stop their own crimes first instead of other's. Simple logic

(I got nothing against you guys, but your government is evil Razz )



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm

mini0013xx | 4167 Undaunted Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:Stuff
America's nukes came from the cold war. However, we have no intention of using them... ever. It happened because Russia and the US had the arms race, and that was the most destructive thing at the time.

Iran however, is a rather instable country with a very long past of trying (and typically succeeding) and capturing it's neighbors to create empires. Their recent years of peace actually has me worried, because the less they use their power, typically the more they have.

As for the Vietnam war... we were TRYING to do the world a favor. Do you understand what kind of atrocity communism is? Take a look at the most oppressed countries in the world, North Korea, Cuba, China, Vietnam, Laos, and tell me what sort of system they use. That's right, Communism. Irradicating the world of Communism would be a good thing.

Also, if any country's leader has a brain they wouldn't invade America.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:Right-wing propaganda stuff lol
Nah, let's not get personal:P
Kuba has it's bad sides (no freedom of speech) but I would take it over america any day. 100% free health care ain't bad, it's not even completely free in Sweden. Yeah, Cuba isn't perfect, but we ceartainly don't have the right to "eradicate" them.

And saying that you have the right to go in and kill people because they want communism is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...
If the people want communism what gives America the -Cheesecake!- right to go in and say "nope, now we must kill you for the good of the world"
The Viet-cong where not dictators and came into power peacefully. Going in to take them down is against human rights, against democracy and against everything you claim to stand for.

"Also, if any country's leader has a brain they wouldn't invade America."

Yes, that is true. America can do exactly whatever they want because they use threats and violence to quiet anyone who stands against their military power. America=the dictators of the west AKA global facists

And did you really bring in Iran's history of the persian empire? If we are gonna judge a country by what they did hundreds of years ago then I guess all americans are still racists and like to kill native populations... (which I know they're don't)

Iran aquiring nukes will not destableize, it might even do the opposite. This article explains how the fear against Iran is stupid: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-06-17/iran-nuclear-bomb-israel-proliferation/55654248/1

America has no right to tell people what's "for the good of the world" all it has done is cause death. Enough please... let Iran have nukes like the rest of the world does, and let Syria handle their own conflict.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm

mini0013xx | 4167 Undaunted Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
mini0013xx wrote:Right-wing propaganda stuff lol
Nah, let's not get personal:P
Kuba has it's bad sides (no freedom of speech) but I would take it over america any day. 100% free health care ain't bad, it's not even completely free in Sweden. Yeah, Cuba isn't perfect, but we ceartainly don't have the right to "eradicate" them.

And saying that you have the right to go in and kill people because they want communism is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...
If the people want communism what gives America the -Cheesecake!- right to go in and say "nope, now we must kill you for the good of the world"
The Viet-cong where not dictators and came into power peacefully. Going in to take them down is against human rights, against democracy and against everything you claim to stand for.

"Also, if any country's leader has a brain they wouldn't invade America."

Yes, that is true. America can do exactly whatever they want because they use threats and violence to quiet anyone who stands against their military power. America=the dictators of the west AKA global facists

And did you really bring in Iran's history of the persian empire? If we are gonna judge a country by what they did hundreds of years ago then I guess all americans are still racists and like to kill native populations... (which I know they're don't)

Iran aquiring nukes will not destableize, it might even do the opposite. This article explains how the fear against Iran is stupid: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-06-17/iran-nuclear-bomb-israel-proliferation/55654248/1

America has no right to tell people what's "for the good of the world" all it has done is cause death. Enough please... let Iran have nukes like the rest of the world does, and let Syria handle their own conflict.
First and foremost, right wing is the right way to do things right.

I'm just gonna have to say, learn stuff about the cold war before you attack America's actions during it.

We're not global fascists, lol.

I don't think you realize this, but the last iranian empire collapsed in 1979.

Also, while I do still believe Iran is a minor threat (given their regional power), specifically to Israel who hasn't actually done anything wrong, I would always keep an eye on them. Though we have seen evidence of the Iranians using those nuclear materials for other purposes rather than nuclear arms.

But, once again, America is a pretty good example of how to handle nukes. We used them once, (technically we used two VERY small nukes) before anybody ever knew of it's power. Currently the largest WMD holder, we've been trying to make deals with the countries around the world to stop making nuclear weapons and actually start demolishing them. As such, there are plenty of examples in which America itself has slimmed down it's WMD stockpiles over the years, just blowing them up or using other means of desposing of them.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Mad Mike | 4067 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:
(Oh you mean the the Iran revolution, sorry I misunderstood.)

Demolishing nukes is the logical thing to do, the amount of nukes the US has is redicolous... and the entire world combined actually has enough to blow the earth into smithereens 6 times over... it's pretty depressing when you think about it..

But even if the US gets rid of lets say 1000 nukes, they will still have 10 000 other nukes... they would never need as many as they have so demolishing some is only good PR witout them really loosing any power. Nonetheless, it IS still a good thing.



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:44 pm

mini0013xx | 4167 Undaunted Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:(Oh you mean the the Iran revolution, sorry I misunderstood.)

Demolishing nukes is the logical thing to do, the amount of nukes the US has is redicolous... and the entire world combined actually has enough to blow the earth into smithereens 6 times over... it's pretty depressing when you think about it..

But even if the US gets rid of lets say 1000 nukes, they will still have 10 000 other nukes... they would never need as many as they have so demolishing some is only good PR witout them really loosing any power. Nonetheless, it IS still a good thing.
There is an issue with this nuclear thing however. Many countries, for example India and France, don't actually want to give up their nukes.

Russia actually wants limited amounts of nukes, and America wants the world to have none of it. (But likewise, we won't sacrifice any of our nukes if the other countries do not comply).



on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Sponsored content |




View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

THE BAY IS AN COMMUNITY FORUM. WE HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH BAY VIEW GAME STUDIOS.
Free forum | © PunBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum