Welcome to the Bay!


You are not connected. Please login or register

Jesus and Dinosaurs

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

FutureShadow202 | 3455 The Pig Roaster

avatar
Watch.....and then debate.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 am

Pandora's Box | 4424 Grammatical Wizard

avatar
I actually find what he's saying offensive. His ignorance on both the subject of evolution and religion is astounding. and that coupled with his tone upsets me...

I have a hard time respecting him because he is showing now respect towards any of the faiths. I understand he's doing comedy but his tone just kind of makes it sound like an attack rather than a joke.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:30 am

mini0013xx | 4283 Undaunted Member

avatar
I hope this guy realizes that, if they actually read a bible, they'll find Dinosaurs put inside the text here or there. (Of course now the word dinosaur isn't used, because the term wasn't invented until the 1800s, and the translation that is most commonly accepted is the 1611 translation).

Lots of extra biblical accounts also speak of these, such as the epic of Gilgamesh, and many ancient Greek and Roman epics. (I forget which one, but there was one in particular where a Greek man had to fight a dragon for the golden fleece).

Now, the term dragon was used in 1611 as a being that WAS around at that time. Sort of like the term unicorn, back in 1611 meaning an one horned ox, not a mythical creature. If you looked in a 1611 dictionary, a piece of the definition also stated that it was "now rare", symbolizing that the thing that was being mentioned was still on the earth, but very rare and probably lived in extremely low populous area.

There are stories of cattle grazers in places like France in the middle ages, which had seen large lizard like creatures, sometimes up to 8 or 10 feet in length, in which they would encounter on the roads in between cities. One of the examples is in which, in 700 ad, a man found a 6 foot in length or so lizard that size, large claws teeth and all, he ended up killing it, probably breaking it's neck with his walking stick. He then stuffed it and put it on display. However, despite the fact that the body would have decomposed by this point, the place in which it was displayed was probably destroyed before modern day.

Now, the bible specifically speaks of dinosaurs in the form of dragons, but there's also the term "fiery-serpent", "Leviathan (speaking of a specific sea monster or I guess sea dinosaur, if you will, in the book of Job. [The book of Job is the oldest book of the bible, recorded back during patriarchichal times. This is valid by the fact that his wealth was considered by the amount of cattle that he had, and his life was around 250 years or so.]) And then there's also the term Behemoth.

However, you're probably wondering why they weren't neccessarily the most mentioned in the bible. Well, specifically speaking, in the whole scheme of things that God tries to teach you, dinosaurs aren't that important. They're really only important when they are encountered, or made as a reference for the people of 3500 years ago could understand. (Much like how they constantly reference Babylon so much in the old testament, back when there WAS a Babylonian empire to reference to. And the Jews knew the Babylonians all too well.) The bible is very vague on detail, and naturally it should be. If we read it like a typical story book, where many of the things that were said were recorded, then we would end up having the bible expand from 800 pages to around 80,000 pages. There's no need for that when all you need to know is the basic concept. (And even the basic concept is deep. You don't need all the extra stuff in there that could potentially confuse the reader.)

As recorded in many texts other than the bible's, especially Babylonian, European, and Chinese societies had a huge thing for these dragons. Even one of the Chinese calendars has a dragon on it. (All the rest are real animals, and then a dragon is placed on there. What kind of logic is that? Perhaps when that was made, the dragon was something different from what people think...)

That's it for now. I would state more, and actually give sources and all that nice stuff, but it's 11pm, I have school tomorrow, and I get up at 5am everyday. So yeah, see you around.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 am

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:
^+

Pandora's Box wrote:I actually find what he's saying offensive. His ignorance on both the subject of evolution and religion is astounding. and that coupled with his tone upsets me...

I have a hard time respecting him because he is showing now respect towards any of the faiths. I understand he's doing comedy but his tone just kind of makes it sound like an attack rather than a joke.
^+



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:11 am

FutureShadow202 | 3455 The Pig Roaster

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
^+

Pandora's Box wrote:I actually find what he's saying offensive. His ignorance on both the subject of evolution and religion is astounding. and that coupled with his tone upsets me...

I have a hard time respecting him because he is showing now respect towards any of the faiths. I understand he's doing comedy but his tone just kind of makes it sound like an attack rather than a joke.
^+
He pokes fun at all sorts of things, even his own culture. Im catholic, but i still get a kick out of this.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 am

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
This is hilarious Wink

But you know what else is hilarious? Mini's attempt to turn mythological creatures and giants into an explanation for how Dinosaurs actually were in the Bible. Please, Mini. That is ridiculous.

Dragons are mythological creatures that could have been real but so far have not been discovered. But Dragons, giants, golems and big scary beasts from ancient texts are most certainly not dinosaurs.

Let's say God does exist and everything in the Bible is completely true. Dinosaurs weren't in there because God left them out. He didn't try and vaguely slip them in but describe them with completely different physical characteristics.

Dinosaurs and God. No.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Pandora's Box wrote:I actually find what he's saying offensive. His ignorance on both the subject of evolution and religion is astounding. and that coupled with his tone upsets me...
It's a joke. Offensive? Really?

What he says about religion is clearly exaggerated because it's funny. What did he say about evolution? Sorry if I missed something, just point me to it. Even if what he did say about evolution was wrong, it would still be funny. He's a comedian.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Legal wrote:
why the hell would the people who wrote the bible be intrested in mentioning dinosaurs? "Love thy neighboor, oh and btw there used to be these things called dinosaurs! Some of them where really big! Most of them had razor sharp teeth, and they are very scary!"

What does dinosaurs have to do with anything in the bible? Mentioning just for the sake of satisfying some idiot in our time would have just been stupid.

God doesn't mention dinosaurs, so they don't exist according to the bible? There are MILLIONS of things the bible never mentions, it doesn't mean anything.

And I believe that the earth was not created in literally 6 days, it was actually 6 cycles or ages. Throughout the bible the words "day and night" are often used to describe the cycle of things, such as the beggining and end of life. To think that each "day" was 24 hours is a misinterpretation and also has to do with a flawed translation.

For all we know the dinosaurs could have died out in a age before man came.

Point is, just because you don't mention something doesn't it mean that you deny it.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
why the hell would the people who wrote the bible be intrested in mentioning dinosaurs?
you CLEARLY didn't read what I said....

"Let's say God does exist and everything in the Bible is completely true. Dinosaurs weren't in there because God left them out."

Mini is the one who is trying to put dinosaurs in the Bible. My statement completely agrees with everything you say... -_-



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Legal wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
why the hell would the people who wrote the bible be intrested in mentioning dinosaurs?
you CLEARLY didn't read what I said....

"Let's say God does exist and everything in the Bible is completely true. Dinosaurs weren't in there because God left them out."

Mini is the one who is trying to put dinosaurs in the Bible. My statement completely agrees with everything you say... -_-
I knew that... Razz

Well, my bad then, I misunderstood you.
I haven't read all of the old testament, but I do think there is some mentionings of different enormous beasts. But yeah, it probably doesn't go into detail and describe them as dinosaurs..

But I don't think this guy is funny though, it's pretty untasteful imo. I like Douglas Adams's jokes about God in the hitchhikers guide, those are funny:


"Man then goes on to prove that black=white and is then killed at the next zebra crossing."



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Yeah Douglas Adams is a genius



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

camycamera | 4310 Legendary Member

avatar
hahaha, this was great.



on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:22 pm

CWO4anthony321123 | 4515 Legendary Member

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
Legal wrote:you CLEARLY didn't read what I said....

"Let's say God does exist and everything in the Bible is completely true. Dinosaurs weren't in there because God left them out."

Mini is the one who is trying to put dinosaurs in the Bible. My statement completely agrees with everything you say... -_-
I knew that... Razz

Well, my bad then, I misunderstood you.
I haven't read all of the old testament, but I do think there is some mentionings of different enormous beasts. But yeah, it probably doesn't go into detail and describe them as dinosaurs..

But I don't think this guy is funny though, it's pretty untasteful imo. I like Douglas Adams's jokes about God in the hitchhikers guide, those are funny:


"Man then goes on to prove that black=white and is then killed at the next zebra crossing."
Well, you won Mike. You've finally gotten me to, after eight years, watch The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again.



on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:51 am

Sponsored content |




View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

THE BAY IS AN COMMUNITY FORUM. WE HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH BAY VIEW GAME STUDIOS.
Private forum on Forumotion | © PunBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum