Welcome to the Bay!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Empty Mad Mike | 8939 Gwendolyn's Minion

Mad Mike
So I got the idea to make a takedown bow using skiis from this guy:

I have wanted to make a bow ever since I tried out archery with my class about a year ago, and I decided that this was the easiest way to do it. And it is pretty easy, if you have the right machinery. If you have a band saw you can make the middle part in a few hours, but for me it took around 3 days!

I had to saw it into shape with a normal hacksaw, piece for piece and then use a rasp to trim it down more accurately. I know that sounds like a pain in the ass, and it is. The amount of saw dust that you get is quite crazy, in the end I decided to tie a t-shirt around my mouth and nose because that much exposure to saw dust would have been pretty unhealthy.

Once I was finally finished with sanding and shaping the riser (middle part), I moved on to the skiis (which I was lucky enough to find at the recycling center, and even though it is ilegal to take things from there in Sweden a guy working there was nice enough to take them out of the container for me)
I cut the skiis into lenght and made rasped the part were the strings will attach.

The next step is were everything went to sh*t... All that was left to do at this point was to drill the holes for were the skiis and the riser will attach. Now if I would have had a damn stationary drill, I would have been finished by now, but I had to use a hand drill with wires.

Now, the power sockets in my workplace aren't working, so I had to do this at home without any means of sucuring the skii to anything. Instead I asked my sister to hold it steady while i used the drill, and that she should tell me if it's not going straight. And of course she was way off, and the hole went almost diagonally. I should have just done it myself and used my gut feeling...

The hole ended up looking like this, which is unusable:
Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Wp_00111

Now I'm going to have to drill another hole higher up, but I don't have enough space to use two screws to attach the skii anymore, so I have to go buy bigger screws and only use one.. I just hope that the messed up hole wont comprimise the integrity of the bow.

Anyway, here's how it looks so far:
Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Wp_00112

(The skiis are not attached on these pictures and neither is the string, I just lined everything up to show what it will look like once finished)
Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Wp_00113

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Wp_00114

Thanks for reading! Once I'm finished I will probably upload a video of me shooting it, so stay tunned!

Last edited by Mad Mike on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Empty Mad Mike | 8939 Gwendolyn's Minion

Mad Mike
It is finished! Everything is assembled and ready to go! But I haven't actually had the time to take it out and shot anything, so I don't know how powerful it is yet. I will show you guys how looks and works once I have the time.

Btw, I know a lot of people here are "gun-nuts" (no-offense) but is there anyone who also apprieciates more primitive weapons? Anyone into archery?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Empty mini0013xx | 9039 Undaunted Member

mini0013xx
Looks sexy.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Mad Mike
mini0013xx wrote:Looks sexy.

Thanks Smile I'm thinking about maybe spraying the skiis with black spray paint or somthing, for extra sexy-ness. But asthetics will come after I've tried it and fine-tuned everything.

Still haven't tried it out though... first week of university has been alot of work. But it's Friday tomorrow, so I will definately have time then.

On a related note, it is completely legal to own bows in Sweden (crossbows and compound bows are not though) however I'm not sure I'm allowed to use it in public... That's the charm with takedown bows though, I can just disasemble it and then put it together at a grass field somewhere remote Wink

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Empty mini0013xx | 9039 Undaunted Member

mini0013xx
Mad Mike wrote:
mini0013xx wrote:Looks sexy.

Thanks Smile I'm thinking about maybe spraying the skiis with black spray paint or somthing, for extra sexy-ness. But asthetics will come after I've tried it and fine-tuned everything.

Still haven't tried it out though... first week of university has been alot of work. But it's Friday tomorrow, so I will definately have time then.

On a related note, it is completely legal to own bows in Sweden (crossbows and compound bows are not though) however I'm not sure I'm allowed to use it in public... That's the charm with takedown bows though, I can just disasemble it and then put it together at a grass field somewhere remote Wink

I think you should sand the sides so it's a little rounded on the edges, and then paint it a glossy color. Maybe having digits sanded out to custom fit your fingers or something would be pretty awesome too.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:30 am

Mad Mike
I have tried it out and it is really powerful! It's not very accurate though because of how my arrows are homade too...

Will upload a few videos soon.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Mad Mike
I finally took the time to upload those videos! I have zero experience in making videos so I ended up just making 5 videos that are around 30 seconds in totall. Uploading those alone took me an hour so if I was to figure out how to edit them all into one video I would have to spend atleast twice as much time... (you may laugh at my incompetence now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NEProCdgE&list=PLKMm2HX7cyW7lc-yn55bWRxgZhCqOgW8q&index=1

I might make some more fancy videos if I get a nice camera and practice my video editing skills (or lack of it). The arrows I have now are completely homemade and therefore they aren't incredibly accurate... if I get some real ones I can start aiming for targets aswell! I will also try to increase the power of the bow, it is already very powerfull at close to mid range but I want to make it effective at long range aswell.

Please let me know what you think, and ask if you have any questions!

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:05 pm

mini0013xx
Mad Mike wrote:I finally took the time to upload those videos! I have zero experience in making videos so I ended up just making 5 videos that are around 30 seconds in totall. Uploading those alone took me an hour so if I was to figure out how to edit them all into one video I would have to spend atleast twice as much time... (you may laugh at my incompetence now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NEProCdgE&list=PLKMm2HX7cyW7lc-yn55bWRxgZhCqOgW8q&index=1

I might make some more fancy videos if I get a nice camera and practice my video editing skills (or lack of it). The arrows I have now are completely homemade and therefore they aren't incredibly accurate... if I get some real ones I can start aiming for targets aswell! I will also try to increase the power of the bow, it is already very powerfull at close to mid range but I want to make it effective at long range aswell.

Commented and subscribed. That was pretty cool. I wanna shoot it now.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Mad Mike
mini0013xx wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:I finally took the time to upload those videos! I have zero experience in making videos so I ended up just making 5 videos that are around 30 seconds in totall. Uploading those alone took me an hour so if I was to figure out how to edit them all into one video I would have to spend atleast twice as much time... (you may laugh at my incompetence now).

Commented and subscribed. That was pretty cool. I wanna shoot it now.

Thanks for the comment, I pretty much only uploaded this so you guys could see it. If you really want one of these you can make one yourself you know Razz I have quite alot of experience in building things which helped me alot in this, but anyone could do it really if you have the time. Read the description in the first video, if you haven't already, and take a look at the instructable.

You can expect to see me uploading another cool thing soon. It was my high school project. This project took around 3 weeks to make (50 hours or so) and is ALOT more complicated. It is alot bigger, required about 6 months of theoretical research and involves hydraulics.

The quality of the videos will improve too! I have already learned most of what there is to solid modelling from school, and once I have the time I will get into video editing aswell!
(Then if I have time maybe I'll make those piano videos I've been wanting to do for a long time)

Last edited by Mad Mike on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:27 pm

mini0013xx
I definitely want to see that final when it's created!!

And dude, you should make a channel just on constructing stuff like that. That'd be amazing.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Mad Mike
mini0013xx wrote:I definitely want to see that final when it's created!!

And dude, you should make a channel just on constructing stuff like that. That'd be amazing.

I will probably make another channel for this kind of stuff and with better videos, because the one uploaded to now is my personal account.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

Mad Mike
As I prophesied a long time ago, one day I would take the time to upload that video of my High School project that I promised. That day has come gentlemen.

Please read the description, and don't be afraid to ask questions about anything:

I built this for my third year project in High School, all the parts of the crane were designed and built by me, aside from the weights and syringes. The design was made using the formulas for mechanical advantage in levers and hydrulic/pnuematic systems in order to calculate the exact lifting capacity of the crane and maximize it. I wrote a 15 page report on the project and I would have included a link to it, for those interested, if it wasn't written in Swedish. The following is the abstract for that report which summarizes the project in English:

"In this project a mechanical lifting crane was constructed, capable of moving objects in all directions using a pneumatic power system. The purpose of this was to compare theoretical mechanics with practical engineering. It was established that the formulas for calculating mechanical advantage and hydraulic/pneumatic force amplification, are correct and can be used as a tool in practical situations to help achieve as high lifting capacity as possible in any construction."

I planned to include a third set of syringes and have it control the rotating motion, but due to time constraints in my construction time I was forced to scrap that idea. As you can see the rotational movement is instead done by hand. You have probably also noticed that it is very difficult to control both the syringes with only one hand each. I was also planning to build a system that would allow me to lock the syringes in a fixed position and control them one at the time. This would have made it a lot more accurate and easy to control, but again, I was getting close to the deadline and had to make priorities.

This project taught me alot about engineering and physics, and it was a ton of fun to build. I hope you found it to be interesting as well.

Thank you for watching!

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Mad Mike
I just tested shooting my bow with some real carbon fiber arrows, and man does that increase accuracy! It's extremely accurate with real arrows but I'm still lacking a little bit in power. If I could get my hands on downhill skiis, then I would get real power!

I might make a video were I try shooting at targets after I make a few finishing touches.

(In other news, once I get a sound interface for my piano I will start a piano channel aswell. But I might not get it untill Christmas)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 am

Takedown bow and Pneumatic lifting crane projects Empty Sponsored content |

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

THE BAY IS AN COMMUNITY FORUM. WE HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH BAY VIEW GAME STUDIOS.
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com