Welcome to the Bay!


You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is there a God? Documentary

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
The other day, I saw this really facinating documentary about whether or not science and God can co-exist. It was aired on Swedish puplic service television (yeah we have that, and it's awesome) but don't worry, aside from the subtitles everything is in English.

The thing I loved about this documentary, is that it's NOT one-sided! This is not me trying to convince anyone that there is a God or anything like that! But this documentary just brings up some very interesting points about the universe, from both religious scientists, and atheist scientists!

I know some of you are somewhat interested in this stuff, so I really recomend that you watch it and try draw your own conclousions.
http://www.svtplay.se/video/1609221/del-1-av-3


(I tried to link the actual video here directly, but I can't see if it worked. Maybe my PC is just slow..)



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Science and God have to co exist. God is infalsifyable and Science isn't a belief, it's a tool we use to understand the world.



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Legal wrote:Science and God have to co exist. God is infalsifyable and Science isn't a belief, it's a tool we use to understand the world.
Yeah, and the documentary brings this up to a little higher level, explaining every aspect.

All scientists agree that there is a certain "order" in the universe to which all the laws of physics follow..
The religious scientists explains this with God being what brings order to our universe, that in theory should be in chaos.

However the atheists had a very interesting theory about multiverses. That our universe is one of the billions of other universes that didn't just disolve imidiately and actually has order. (however this theory brings up more questions for me)

They also said that the monotheistic  God, is not like the ones in greek myth, symply made up to fill in the blanks or to explain wonders of nature (like the sun or thunder). Instead he is a God that stands above science, since he is the creator of the universe, and responsible for all the laws of physics and science that we know.

I know you guys are probably not the documentary watching guys, but it is pretty good. Watch it if you feel like



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
I'll watch it sometime. The multiverse theory is really cool, I'd like to see some testing but I guess that's kinda impossible right now :(we need some new mathematical laws that can give us more creative workspace. We need a new Newton or Dirac.

I'd like to watch the video Wink I'll try and make time



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Legal wrote:I'd like to see some testing but I guess that's kinda impossible right now. we need some new mathematical laws that can give us more creative workspace. We need a new Newton or Dirac.
There was a guy in the video that said pretty much exactly that Wink



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 pm

CWO4anthony321123 | 4515 Legendary Member

avatar
I thought we weren't allowed to have anymore threads on theology.



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:49 pm

001 Contrite Mediation | 4364 The Floaty Green Dude

avatar
CWO4anthony321123 wrote:I thought we weren't allowed to have anymore threads on theology.
The laws of forum physics bend whenever Legal is in a thread.



on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
001 Contrite Mediation wrote:
CWO4anthony321123 wrote:I thought we weren't allowed to have anymore threads on theology.
The laws of forum physics bend whenever Legal is in a thread.
Yep. I don't mind this, it's just a video that Mike wanted to share.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 am



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

mini0013xx | 4283 Undaunted Member

avatar
The answer is: Of course there is.

Legal wrote:Science and God have to co exist. God is infalsifyable and Science isn't a belief, it's a tool we use to understand the world.
They can co exist pretty well. However, first thing you have to do is get rid of closed minded people. We always have to the extreme athiests and some extremely stupid theologians who both won't ever change their mindsets on things.

My view on what God does is this: He does things in our universe, however not to a huge extent. He's only taken things to the extreme when things NEEDED to be taken to the extreme. Typically speaking, he'll respect our right of free will, and only talk to humans (This is like a 1/100,000,000 chance you'll be in a situation like that though) when he extremely feels the need to, and even then it's not much because everything he needed to say has already been said.

He also does things in a very logical order... I would go further... but I have to get ready for school.

Legal wrote:I'll watch it sometime. The multiverse theory is really cool, I'd like to see some testing but I guess that's kinda impossible right now :(we need some new mathematical laws that can give us more creative workspace. We need a new Newton or Dirac.

I'd like to watch the video ;)I'll try and make time
I don't necessarily believe in the multiverse theory, buuuuuuuut... it has come up on me once or twice when I was thinking about any sort of game series I wouldn't have any limitations on. That one came in to mind.

CWO4anthony321123 wrote:I thought we weren't allowed to have anymore threads on theology.
I think it was because the Debate section was getting TOO crowded with them, but the whole thing has died down a bit. Besides, we're not having a debate anymore anyway.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 am

camycamera | 4310 Legendary Member

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:The answer is: Of course there is.

i'm sorry, but ima have to jump into this.

proof? did you see him? did you say hi, shake his hand, and bow down to his superiority, is dictatorship, his almighty power?

at least science justifies itself with some proof, and not just "the bible."

i'm not saying that he doesn't exist (although imo i think the thought of worshipping someone like god is silly, especially in today's society), but saying "oh, ofc there is" is really unjustifiable and seemingly biased.



and another rant: i find it funny how in today's society we embrace democracy and freedom, and the fact that we have the right to vote and the right to freedom of speech and the right to speak out our own opinion, and that, in the real world, we actively go against bad dicatorships/totalitarian leaderships, yet people praise god like he is some all powerful being. its like embracing dictatorship, in a way.

same goes for the Queen of England, there are rules in politics that state that "church and state must be separate" yet what does she have on her head? the cross.


/rant.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:The answer is: Of course there is.

I like what you're saying except from what I quoted above. That's a pretty closed minded statement in itself. We're not having a huge discussion on it, I just wanted to say don't be hypocritical.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
The point of this thread is not to rant and try to make your case.

Everything you just said is debated and discussed in the documentary.... watch it first then, we will be able to have a more open minded, intelligent and respectful debate ourselves Smile

I'll just say that your democracy analogy is sort of flawed.
Democracy is NOT perfect like we are so brainwashed into believing. Infact democracy is almost an illusion, when things get real, the people don't have anything to say about things (or it is done behind thier backs).

A dictatorship would in theory be the best form of government in my opinion, if it weren't for the fact that dictators always abuse their power. However that is not the case with God, since he is said to be perfect.

It's like Winston Chruchill said:
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:The point of this thread is not to rant and try to make your case.

Everything you just said is debated and discussed in the documentary.... watch it first then, we will be able to have a more open minded, intelligent and respectful debate ourselves Smile

I'll just say that your democracy analogy is sort of flawed.
Democracy is NOT perfect like we are so brainwashed into believing. Infact democracy is almost an illusion, when things get real, the people don't have anything to say about things (or it is done behind thier backs).

A dictatorship would in theory be the best form of government in my opinion, if it weren't for the fact that dictators always abuse their power. However that is not the case with God, since he is said to be perfect.

It's like Winston Chruchill said:
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”
I'm going to make a thread for that kind of discussion. But just so you know, I believe a certain blend of democracy and Marxism is the way forward.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Knadan | 4176 Community Commissar

avatar
New link to somewhere else we can see it please.  I followed the link and it says it can only be viewed in Sweden.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:39 pm



The Commissar will see you now....

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
Knadan wrote:New link to somewhere else we can see it please.  I followed the link and it says it can only be viewed in Sweden.
+1



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:42 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Knadan wrote:New link to somewhere else we can see it please.  I followed the link and it says it can only be viewed in Sweden.
Well that sucks.. :/
I'll try to find a solution right away!



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Knadan | 4176 Community Commissar

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:
Knadan wrote:New link to somewhere else we can see it please.  I followed the link and it says it can only be viewed in Sweden.
Well that sucks.. :/
I'll try to find a solution right away!
Thank you. Very Happy 



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:06 pm



The Commissar will see you now....

IDredMan | 4674 I am the one who rings the doorbell!

avatar
Why can't religious people and atheists hold hands together for the common purpose ...Of kicking ass?



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
IDredMan wrote:Why can't religious people and atheists hold hands together for the common purpose ...Of kicking ass?
Cuz they're trying to kick eachothers' asses.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 pm



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
This is unbelievable... retarded ass license agreement bullshit!!

Some programs can only be viewed in the country (and only for about a month) because the creators of the documentary don't want people to watch it for free... cheap bastards...

Maybe you could change the region settings for you PC to watch it, but I don't think it will work...


-Cheesecake!- great... I just started another debate and now the one video that could stop it has a region lock... :/

(I can't find it on any other website either, it seems like it came out just a few weeks ago so the documentary is pretty new)



Last edited by Mad Mike on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total


on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Knadan | 4176 Community Commissar

avatar
Mad Mike wrote:This is unbelievable... retarded ass license agreement bullshit!!

Some programs can only be viewed in the country (and only for about a month) because the creators of the documentary don't want people to watch it for free... cheap bastards...

Maybe you could change the region settings for you PC to watch it, but I don't think it will work...


-Cheesecake!- great... I just started another debate and now the one video that could stop it has a region lock... :/
Can the same video be found anywhere else?



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:17 pm



The Commissar will see you now....

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Knadan wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:This is unbelievable... retarded ass license agreement bullshit!!

Some programs can only be viewed in the country (and only for about a month) because the creators of the documentary don't want people to watch it for free... cheap bastards...

Maybe you could change the region settings for you PC to watch it, but I don't think it will work...


-Cheesecake!- great... I just started another debate and now the one video that could stop it has a region lock... :/
Can the same video be found anywhere else?
the documentary was appearantly just released a few weeks ago, so I can't find it anywhere for free...
All I can find is trailers: http://www.thegodquestion.tv/explore
(although this trailer is actually 10 minutes!)



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:23 pm

mini0013xx | 4283 Undaunted Member

avatar
camycamera wrote:
Saying totally unneccesary stuff that nobody asked for.
I didn't ask for your criticism on my opinion.

As for the other one (the political one), if you have an extremely good king, your country is better off than any democracy ever could be. If you have a bad, oppressive king, then your country has to subdue to the greed of the emperor. God is a good king, so there you go. (Specifically speaking, the law is set down and never changes.) As much of a right wing democracy nut as I am, I agree with this.

I don't want this to turn into something, but it's just so bad as to the fact that you took the VERY first line in the comment, which was a comment I was making because I believe it's true before replying to other people. Don't attack it.

Legal wrote:
Legally legalizing his way through the thread.
Same goes for you too. Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's closed minded.



on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Legal | 5416 Viva La Sovereign

avatar
mini0013xx wrote:
camycamera wrote:
Saying totally unneccesary stuff that nobody asked for.
I didn't ask for your criticism on my opinion.

As for the other one (the political one), if you have an extremely good king, your country is better off than any democracy ever could be. If you have a bad, oppressive king, then your country has to subdue to the greed of the emperor. God is a good king, so there you go. (Specifically speaking, the law is set down and never changes.) As much of a right wing democracy nut as I am, I agree with this.

I don't want this to turn into something, but it's just so bad as to the fact that you took the VERY first line in the comment, which was a comment I was making because I believe it's true before replying to other people. Don't attack it.

Legal wrote:
Legally legalizing his way through the thread.
Same goes for you too. Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's closed minded.
No, that was closed minded. You didn't day, "he probably does" or "I believe he does". You said "of course he does".



on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:22 am



My Gamertag: Legaaal
My Team: Sigma 7

Youtube Channel

Clan Website

Mad Mike | 4183 Gwendolyn's Minion

avatar
Legal wrote:
mini0013xx wrote:I didn't ask for your criticism on my opinion.

As for the other one (the political one), if you have an extremely good king, your country is better off than any democracy ever could be. If you have a bad, oppressive king, then your country has to subdue to the greed of the emperor. God is a good king, so there you go. (Specifically speaking, the law is set down and never changes.) As much of a right wing democracy nut as I am, I agree with this.

I don't want this to turn into something, but it's just so bad as to the fact that you took the VERY first line in the comment, which was a comment I was making because I believe it's true before replying to other people. Don't attack it.

Same goes for you too. Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's closed minded.
No, that was closed minded. You didn't day, "he probably does" or "I believe he does". You said "of course he does".
I guess Mini didn't make it very clear that it was his opinion, but I believe that is what he meant to say. Just a misunderstanding, move along.

Damnit, the video was gonna help increase understanding, now I just started another debate that doesn't really lead to anything :/



on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 am

Sponsored content |




View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

THE BAY IS AN COMMUNITY FORUM. WE HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH BAY VIEW GAME STUDIOS.
Forumotion.com | © PunBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum